At this time, our family room is closed to volunteers.
Please register as a volunteer, we will contact you once opportunities are available.
We ask that all those who are interested,
even if you have volunteered with us before, submit a new application.
Family Room Volunteers are crucial in ensuring this room is a restful and peaceful environment for our guests. The Family Room is open only when a volunteer is present.
Volunteer Qualifications & Training – To be eligible to be a Family Room Volunteer, you must:
- Be a least 21 years of age
- Complete an RMHC-SWVA Volunteer Application (printable volunteer application)
- Be interviewed prior to your acceptance
- Have the ability to interact and communicate well with families and staff
- Complete Carilion’s volunteer training and requirements*
- Complete orientation provided by RMHC-SWVA Family Room Coordinator
*Carilion Volunteer Requirements:
– Background Check
– Flu Shot
– COVID vaccination – proof required
– Take 3-hour online class
– Wear a mask
– TB Blood Test/TB Questionnaire
Volunteer Hours – Volunteers are needed for 3-hour shifts, 7 days a week:
- 9:00am – 12:00pm
- 12:00pm – 3:00pm
- 3:00pm – 6:00pm
- 6:00pm – 9:00pm
Volunteer Responsibilities – Volunteers are responsible for:
- Welcoming and registering new guests
- Answering the telephone
- Ensuring that guests are following the Family Room policies
- Providing a friendly and supportive atmosphere
- Maintaining a clean and orderly room
- Fix Snacks & Coffee
- Complete minimal record keeping
For additional information – please contact the Family Room Coordinator, Donna Kester at 540-857-0770 or firstname.lastname@example.org