Collect Tab Tops
Little things can make a BIG difference.
Tab tops from your soda, beverage or soup is a major fundraising effort for the RMHC-SWVA. This tiny tab top can help raise thousands of dollars to support the families of seriously ill or injured children receiving medical treatment in local Roanoke Valley area hospitals.
How you can help!
Aluminum tab tops are collected by people, young and old, and are recycled in exchange for money. It’s that simple!
Encourage each member of your organization/family/club/business to participate, no matter how many they collect – each tab counts!
Tab Top Program FAQs
What does the RM House do with the money raised from tab tops?
The House provides lodging and meals for up to 18 families each day, 365 days per year. In an average year, over 11,000 people are served by the Roanoke House. It costs approximately $1,600 a day to keep the House in operations.
All monies raised through the Tab Top Program goes to the operating budget of RM House.
How do you get started?
Start collecting! You can use anything to collect the tabs in (ex. shoebox, plastic bag, etc.) or visit the Ronald McDonald House for individual collection houses.
What happens to the tabs?
When a large amount of tabs have accumulated at the House, we take the tabs to our local recycling center – who then give a donation back to the House.
Why do you only collect the tabs & not the entire can?
- Tab tops are easier to store. They are smaller and cleaner than aluminum cans.
- The House receives a higher rate per pound of tab tops than per pound of cans because the tab is made of high quality, high-grade aluminum.
Where do I drop off my collected tab tops?
You can drop off your tab tops at the RM House, located at 2224 S. Jefferson St., Roanoke. The House is open 365 days a year, from 8am-8pm. You can bring your tab tops anytime we are open, just bring them to the front desk inside the House. Our parking lot is located behind the House, off 23rd Street.
For more information, contact the House at 540-857-0770 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Approximately 63,360 tab tops = 1 mile
- Americans consume an average 380 drinks in aluminum cans each year
- The modern pop top was invented in 1975
- Recycling cans and pop tops saves 95% of the energy needed to make new aluminum cans from ore
- The first Ronald McDonald House opened in 1974 in Philadelphia, PA
- There are now over 300 Ronald McDonald Houses in over 30 countries
Source: The Aluminum Association and Ronald McDonald House Charities.